Sunday 11th June 2023
INVITATION TO DINGHY AND KEELBOAT SAILORS
The Medway Marathon has provided a yearly endurance challenge for over half a century. The race is open to all classes of monohull dinghies and day keelboats with a RYA PY number.
The course runs between Upnor in the west and Queenborough spit to the east and is in a tidal area, setting the competitor strategic problems and high levels of boat handling. The 26 miles takes competitors through the sweeping main estuary reaches of the Medway River and its creeks with abundant birdlife. The course tests every part of the angles of sail, which doesn’t give a huge advantage to any particular boat. It is a great tactical challenge as the tide plays a big part in getting the best out of the course. Once you have tried it you will keep on coming back year after year.
This is a long distance handicap race for monohull dinghies, International Dragons, National Sonatas and National Squibs on the tidal River Medway.
No entries will be accepted from kiteboards, sailboards, multihulls or foiling boats.
If you are under 23 years of age on 1st January 2023 you can take part in the half marathon.
Download the race documents below.
2023 Marathon Entry Form.pdf
2023 Marathon NOR.pdf
2023 Marathon SI's.pdf
|Division||RYA PY No.||Warning Signal||Start Time||Class Flag|
|Class 1 & Half Marathon||1196 – 1315||09:55||10:00||ICF 1|
|Class 2||1106 – 1195||10:05||10:10||ICF 2|
|Class 4||971 – 1104||10:25||10:30||ICF 3|
|Class 5||970 and lower||10:35||10:40||ICF 4|
- Date: Sunday 11th June 2023
- Start Times: First warning signal 9:55am.
- Venue: Medway Yacht Club, Lower Upnor, Rochester, Kent. ME2 4XB.
- Entries: Eligible boats may enter by completing the online entry form and return to email@example.com
- Entries close: 09:45 Sunday 11th June.
- Cost: £30 for Marathon, £15 Half Marathon
- RYA PY No.: This is to be found on rya.org and will be adapted to include International Dragons, National Sonatas & National Squibs.
- Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions: Are available to download under the information section of this page.
- Storage: Boats will be inside the secure MYC compound.
- Launching: All tide winch assisted slipway.
- Camping: Available free of charge if you wish to arrive on Saturday. Contact the office on 01634 718399 to book a space.
- Food: The Galley will be open on Saturday serving our usual weekend menu and on Sunday from 08:30 for breakfast, plus tea/coffee with cake and bar snacks throughout the day.
- Further information: Please contact the office on 01634 718399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The final results can be found on the Sailwave site here