Medway Yacht Club is looking to recruit a Chief Instructor
Job Title: Chief Instructor
Full Time / Permanent £20,000 – £24,000 dependent on experience.
Located at Lower Upnor on the banks of the tidal River Medway just down river from Chatham historic dockyard only 35 miles from central London and is easily accessible from London, Kent, Sussex, or Essex. The tidal Medway on which the club operates provides excellent sailing perfect for both racing and cruising.
MYC has a vibrant programme involving cruising and racing. Cruising the is largest part of the club, offering organised cruising in company and dedicated racing. MYC Racing programme includes Dragons, Sonatas, Squibs, Wayfarers, Lasers and Musto Skiff racing every weekend.
Our training is growing in interest and numbers, offering a year-round training programme including RYA courses for both adult and young sailors. The training team currently consists of the Chief Instructor and other member, volunteer instructors and individuals who support the training.
We are now looking for an RYA Senior Instructor to take on the Chief Instructor role on a full time, permanent basis. The role requires a flexible approach with the successful candidate working a minimum of 37hr contract over weekends, evenings and bank holidays as required. Typical working week Wednesday – Sunday, but potentially could be a job share for the right candidates.
The position is designed to lead and manage the existing Club Sailing groups: Junior, Youth, Adults, Royal Engineers, NAS school all operating from March to November with Winter Training Sessions mostly for the Youth team. The position will also involve delivering Powerboat, Stand UP Paddle boarding, shore-based courses as well as Team Building days. The successful applicant will lead on training at the Club and report to the Commodore and Flag Officers. The applicant will work closely with the other employees and volunteers.
PURPOSES OF ROLE
- Operate as a Chief Instructor (supervising or delivering courses ensuring that RYA, SOPs, NGB and any other existing regulations are adhered to.
- To organise and coordinate the day-to-day operations of all activities including equipment issue/return and safe effective and punctual delivery of any activities.
- Managing administrative duties such as issuing RYA certificates for accredited courses, coordinating course and facility bookings ad recording sailing achievements.
- Promote the Club as the main sailing hub in the Medway area and as a community resource.
- Promote a family friendly attitude at the Club.
- Provide high-quality training to both adults and young people following the RYA guidelines.
- Deliver high-quality RYA Powerboat and Safety Boat courses.
- Deliver interesting and engaging shore-based courses.
- Take responsibility of MYC Junior, Youth and Adult sailing groups, training them every weekend.
- To support the development of the Training at the Club and the development of club sailors (both young and adults).
- Liaise with local schools to encourage the new generations into sailing.
- Liaise with NAS school and improve MYC sailability programme.
- Liaise with community groups to promote sailing and the Club’s activities.
- To support any informal sailing for Club members.
- Work with the Bosuns team to facilitate the maintenance and servicing of both Club’s powerboats and training fleet, including SUPs.
- When necessary act as Safety Boat during Club’s events or Racing.
- Offer informal talks and presentations.
- Taking part in RYA meeting and development webinars to keep the Club updated and in the Regional loop.
- Promote and support all the Regional RYA events hosted by MYC, aiming to provide a very successful service and to be the potential hub for Regional courses in the SE area.
- Introduce and support keelboat training for both adults and young sailors.
- Train the teams aiming to have some sailors in Regional and National championships.
- Provide tailored private training on cruising boats including manoeuvres under engine, sail, and spinnaker work.
- Improve the involvement of Club members as volunteers, assisting the training sessions.
- Review and improve MYC S.O.Ps and keep the Club at RYA high standards.
To deliver services effectively, a degree of flexibility will be required, and the post holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above.
All the employees are expected to take responsibility and comply with MYC’s policies, procedures, and training requirements particularly in relation to safety on the water, safeguarding, health and safe, diversity and inclusion. All employees must be familiar with and comply with all the aspects of MYC policies.
Applications via CV with a covering letter to email@example.com