RYA Day Skipper Theory Course ~9,10,16,17 & 23 February 2019 -outstanding value £300
RYA Day Skipper Theory Course
A comprehensive introduction to chartwork navigation meteorology and the basics of seamanship.
Invaluable for learning how to start making decisions on board and if you are considering taking the Day Skipper practical course.
- Saturday 9 February
- Sunday 10 February
- Saturday 16 February
- Sunday 17 February
- Saturday 23 February – exam
£300 per person (members) including:
- All tuition and examination fees
- Course materials (RYA Student Pack, Training Almanac)
- Morning & Afternoon Tea or Coffee
- Portland Plotter and Dividers – but can be pre-ordered at £25 per set
Non Member Rate:
£345 per person including all of above plus Training Membership package at MYC
- Nautical terms, Ropework, Anchoring
- Safety including on board safety equipment, fire precautions and firefighting, lifejackets, flares, VHF procedures, rescue by helicopter and lifeboat
- International regulations for Prevention of Collisions at sea (Rules of the Road)
- Definitions of Position, Course and Speed – latitude and longitude, courses and bearings, the knot.
- Charts and Publications, Drawing Instruments
- Magnetic Compasses, allowance for variation, awareness of deviation, use of hand bearing compass.
- Chartwork including dead reckoning, estimated position, leeway, visual fixing, GPS (Satellite) positions, Waypoints, Course to Steer
- Tides and Tidal Streams including level definitions, tide tables tidal heights using Admiralty methods, tidal diamonds and tidal stream atlases.
- Light=houses and buoyage including light characteristics
- Meteorology including sources of forecasts, terminology, Beaufort scale of wind strength, highs, lows and fronts.
- Passage Planning for short coastal passages, use of waypoints on passage, navigation discipline and records
- Conduct in restricted visibility
- Pilotage including IALA buoyage, transits, clearing lines and back bearings, sailing directions (pilot books) and pilotage plans
- Protection of the marine environment
Via the office 01634 718 399
Payment due at the time of booking